Winter & Holiday Fire Hazards

The winter and holiday season is upon us and so are several fire hazards that could potentially start a fire in your home:

  • Portable Heaters & Space Heaters – Do not leave heaters unattended — turn heaters off when leaving the room or going to sleep.  Keep heaters at least 3 feet away from any combustible object, bed, wallpaper, wood floor, animal, etc.
  • Holiday Decorative Candles – Never leave a candle unattended.  Try and keep count of how many you light and ensure you extinguish the same number.
  • Live Christmas Trees – Make sure the tree is watered regularly and don’t leave a lit tree unattended.  Never leave an open flame near the tree.
  • Exterior Christmas Decorative Lights – Don’t plug in too many light strings into each other.  Keep all connections away from water.
  • Wood Burning Fireplaces – Only use wood or coal in the fireplace.  Never leave a fire unattended.
  • Gas Fireplaces – Don’t burn anything in a gas fireplace.  Leave the ceramic wood in place.
  • Turkey Fryers – NEVER use inside the home.  This is a major fire/safety hazard.  Never try and cook a frozen turkey.  Keep a careful watch on the oil temperatures.

Please have a safe and joyous holiday season!

House Fire

Source: http://www.sixwise.com/Newsletters/2008/December/10/The-Top-7-Fire-Hazards-in-Your-Home-During-Winter.htm


Add a comment...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s