The winter and holiday season is upon us and so are several fire hazards that could potentially start a fire in your home:
- Portable Heaters & Space Heaters – Do not leave heaters unattended — turn heaters off when leaving the room or going to sleep. Keep heaters at least 3 feet away from any combustible object, bed, wallpaper, wood floor, animal, etc.
- Holiday Decorative Candles – Never leave a candle unattended. Try and keep count of how many you light and ensure you extinguish the same number.
- Live Christmas Trees – Make sure the tree is watered regularly and don’t leave a lit tree unattended. Never leave an open flame near the tree.
- Exterior Christmas Decorative Lights – Don’t plug in too many light strings into each other. Keep all connections away from water.
- Wood Burning Fireplaces – Only use wood or coal in the fireplace. Never leave a fire unattended.
- Gas Fireplaces – Don’t burn anything in a gas fireplace. Leave the ceramic wood in place.
- Turkey Fryers – NEVER use inside the home. This is a major fire/safety hazard. Never try and cook a frozen turkey. Keep a careful watch on the oil temperatures.
Please have a safe and joyous holiday season!